however from second phase (Analyzing and Design) or going forward we may need to act as a System Analyst, to coordinate with Dev folks or Testers or translating Business Requirements to Tech Requirements etc… and as part of coordination we may need to perform Source code analysis successfully, to identify and correcting all such issues, to eliminate the risk and potential costs early in the software development cycle.
The question is… being a BA how can we do this??? how can we analyze the Development phase ??? How can we ensure requirements are successfully developed & tested ??? & Performance testing ??? etc…
During the Development Phase, I believe BA/SA/BSA has every right to the analyze the system design & ensure development outcome or performance testing by considering following analysis…
- How stable is the code?
- Is the code optimized for best performance?
- Does it follow agreed upon coding rules and standards?
- Will there be any memory leaks?
- Will the application be portable across multiple platforms?
- Will the application work across the globe?
- Will the application work consistently across 32-bit and 64-bit systems?
- Does the code follow correct object oriented principles?
- Is there any unused code, variables and so on… in the application?
Always ensure source is stable, optimized, consistent, portable and is compliant with coding standards.
And during the Testing phase, we must coordinate with Testing team assisting in preparation of Test plan early in the project life cycle and make them understand each requirement.
Business may give us opportunity to perform User Acceptance Testing (UAT), take that opportunity start creating UAT test plan, Identify Test Scenarios, Create UAT Test Cases, Prepare Test Data, Run the Test cases, Record the Results & Confirm business objectives. However for successful testing I believe following points might be useful…
- Prepare Checklist before the UAT starts
- Set the expectation and define the scope of UAT clearly
- Test End to End business flow
- Test the system or application with real world scenarios and data during UAT
- Think as an Unknown user to the system
- Perform Usability Testing
- Conduct Feedback session and meeting before moving to production